Thursday, July 2, 2009

input wanted

I would love to have everyone give me some thoughts on these verses that I am memorizing this week. "And this I pray, that you love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ; having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. " Philippians 1:9-11

My question is: Does this verse require action, and if so what kind of action? What does it mean to "approve the things that are excellent"? What is excellent? How do you show approval? Do you DISapprove of things that are NOT excellent and if so, how do you do/show that? Also, is approving the things that are excellent the key to being "sincere and blameless"?

I'm wondering if this is a call to be radical. Am I through my actions or thoughts approving things that are less than excellent? How does that relate to what I allow myself or my children to do, talk about, or watch on tv?

Why am I asking this? I have a huge burden to raise my kids to be "sincere and blameless". Matt and I pray about this ALL the time and we are like-minded in our desire. When I came across these verses yesterday they stood out to me and I felt I needed some more time to read it, pray about it and let it sink in.

I REALLY want to hear what you have to say.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I don't usually read The Message, but sometimes it just makes sense ... Here is what that translation says ...

Philippians 1:9-11 (The Message)

9-11So this is my prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well. Learn to love appropriately. You need to use your head and test your feelings so that your love is sincere and intelligent, not sentimental gush. Live a lover's life, circumspect and exemplary, a life Jesus will be proud of: bountiful in fruits from the soul, making Jesus Christ attractive to all, getting everyone involved in the glory and praise of God.

Using this version it appears that it is saying live a life of authenticity ... which is what Torrey and Brianna's generation (and a smidgen of mine ... goodness I'm old!) is seeking and can spot from a mile away. There is a lot to be said for "just keeping it real" =)!

taffie said...

I think the best thing any parent can do for their child is to instill a desire in them to get to know Jesus as a person. He is our righteousness, and we are transformed by the Holy Spirit as we focus on Jesus Christ. It's not our actions, but the 'fruits' of righteousness (which are by Jesus Christ), which flow from a grateful and worshipping heart. Adoring the Lord by seeing Him in scripture in all His beauty, brings about regeneration, sanctification, etc. Fall in love with Jesus, and God gets all the Glory....luv you guys, Mom Mc