Friday, July 22, 2011

school

I have to admit it.... I hate the summer in VA. It feels like it lasts forever, it is too hot to go outside, it's about the only time Caleb gets migraines, Matt and the older kids have a crazy schedule with clubs and I feel so cooped up! It reminds me of the feeling I would get in NH around February.
Anticipating my feelings, I decided to do something to help make the time go by faster. We started school! Just with Alissa, Caleb and Andrew. It has been so rewarding to me. Sometimes when I don't HAVE to be doing something, it makes it easier and even funner to do. (like washing someone else's dishes!) So, hopefully this jump start will serve to make the summer go by faster and the school year feel less overwhelming.















I loved seeing this. These 2 get along so well and hardly ever argue or fight about anything. Caleb had a question while I was busy helping Andrew so Ali happily volunteered to help him and he happily accepted her help!




Micah is a little young for the Bumbo but he did hang out here with us for a few minutes.



One more way to help me survive the summer- chocolate! I have been trying to eat healthier and also to get a good amount of coconut oil into my diet. I made these so yummy chocolate chunks by melting coconut oil, cocoa, sucanat and vanilla and pouring it over almonds. I put it in the fridge to harden and then broke it into pieces. Just a small piece when I get a sweet craving satisfies- and makes me happy :)










6 comments:

melanie said...

thank you for blogging!! i always love seeing updates and pictures. glad the school has helped...and the kids look pretty happy about it too, which is nice! ali is such a great sister and helper. and that chocolate looks AMAZING!! yummmmm.

taffie said...

Loved this update, sweet Ali, Caleb's blue eyes, Andrew's smile, and little Micah, as well as a healthy version of chocolate!

rachellechaseblog said...

you are one. amazing. mommy

Kari said...

That's exactly why we school during the summer here, too! We'd (okay, *I'd*) rather stay as cool in the summer as possible and take some time off in May and September or October when it's cooler - and anywhere we want to go is far less crowded as a bonus!

I've been down here the majority of the past 23 years and I still haven't adjusted to the heat.

Susanna said...

The heat (reaching near 100 this week!) also prompted us to start school, so we just finished our first week! There's still plenty of time for swimming, and we get to enjoy more time in the coolest room of our house - the school room in the basement! Plus I know we won't regret the flexibility it gives us in the months ahead.
Your chocolate treats look wonderful!!!

grannimcd said...

GREAT IDEA starting school early --- that means you can finish early or take a longer winter break or go at a slower pace or whatever works. That was my home school philosophy waaayyy back when.

Could you post or email the recipe for your chocolate? Keep up the blogging I love it.