Saturday, March 31, 2012

God's Word

It is 7am as I am writing this and I am excited.  For some reason, as I opened my Bible this morning to read it and spend some time with the Lord, I got so excited to have God's Word in my hands it was overwhelming.  My entire life is what it is because of His Word.  Because I believe the Bible to be absolute truth, it has shaped my thinking in every aspect of life.

There is a freedom in knowing truth.  Even more of a freedom in knowing Truth. I don't have to make decisions about what is right.  I just have to decide if I'm going to do what is right.  I don't have to wonder if it's okay to disrespect my husband, yell at my children, dress immodestly, watch junk on television, live for myself, accept that rebellion in my teenagers is a "normal" part of growing up, or many other things.  I just have to decide if by God's grace and trusting in His strength I am going to choose to not do the things that He says are wrong and live a life that is pleasing to Him.

The Bible isn't a popular Guide.  People try to avoid it, call it outdated, say it doesn't teach "tolerance" and they have tried to get it out of a child's life altogether by keeping it out of schools.  The results of no boundaries and no authority are as easy to see as turning on the news or even, actually, by stepping foot into any public place. I, for one, am grateful for boundaries.  Especially when they are set by the One who created the universe and created me.  I'm pretty certain that not only does He have the wisdom to set those boundaries but He also has the right to set them.

I was talking with a friend yesterday and we talked a lot about our children.  We didn't have to wonder about what psychology we should apply to our child rearing.  We both know that it's God's way that is going to allow us to be successful as parents- and as women for that matter.  So the choice is God's way or my way?  It's a minute by minute choice I have to make but I can already tell....it's worth it to choose His way.

For the Word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.  Hebrews 4:12


On another note (speaking of the Bible) I CANNOT beat my 8 year old in a Sword Drill.  Or my 10, 12, or 14 year olds either,  I made the (foolish) mistake of challenging them.  I can't say I wasn't warned- the look Matt gave me when I brought up the fateful challenge was a clear warning and he gave me every chance for an out to save my reputation and keep my kids wondering if just maybe I really could beat them in a Sword Drill.  When I couldn't win using my big Bible, he gave me an advantage using Caleb's well broken in and smaller Bible and gave Caleb my Bible.  I was still beat. Matt started out calling out verses from minor prophets and when he felt bad for me began using verses from the gospels and epistles.  It was no use.  I am no match for my kids!  I guess now I get to choose to be humble, admit defeat and praise my kids for their hard work, diligence and speed.  :)

 

1 comment:

rachellechaseblog said...

well said. love every word you said.