Thursday, August 19, 2010

temporary disorganization

Things have been so crazy around here. All summer actually! If I could put everything on hold and have a couple of full days to myself I could probably get all my school planning done in one swoop and I could then move on. As it turns out, life doesn't go "on hold". Kids need to eat, have clean clothes, get bathed, get disciplined.... Homes need to be cleaned... Teenagers need to be places and do things.... almost 2 year olds need to be supervised constantly....Now, I have a couple of homeschooling mom friends who are VERY organized. They plan their year and do it well. They would probably cringe if they saw my methods (but love me anyway!). I wish I could be more like them- really. But I will have to make do with who I am. Everywhere I look there are piles.
(I hate piles) But I only get so much done before I am interrupted. So, the pile has to get moved to a high place (out of reach of an almost 2 year old who loves to color) until I can finish what I was doing. I am slowly gaining. We plan to start school on Monday. (panic, panic, panic)

Matt reminded me that what I look at as interruptions are really things that are important. The teenagers who were in our home often during the summer that I could feed and love- the little ones who want a book read to them or a game played with them (I know that is a dreadful picture of me but it shows one tired mommy enjoying a tired baby who wants to cuddle!)
The one who needed to be taken out to get a Sunday outfit or even the ones who just need to talk. My amazing husband needs my time to0 (and he is my favorite person in the whole world to spend time with!)
Those things matter. I ask God everyday to make me accountable to Him for what I do with my time. I want to use it wisely. I mess up a lot but am sure thankful for His grace! I have schedules to write up, chore charts to complete, assignments to finish writing but every one of those things are at least begun. I am praying that I will be able to get everything completed by Saturday. I just today read Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

My post title is "temporary disorganization". I wrote that in faith that my disorganization IS only temporary. Now that is a lot of faith!

2 comments:

taffie said...

Wish I was there to give you a break, and spend time with my wonderful grandkids! But it's true, when they're all grown up, you won't remember how organized you were, but all the memories of time spent enjoying and loving them. p.s.-you are one of the most organized people I know!

Kim said...

I have missed you Erika! Our lives couldn't be more similar yet which makes getting together nearly impossible :( I am searching for some breaks in my schedule so we can find time to encourage each other and talk, talk, talk about our lives and the Lord and all that is in between! Sorry I never responded to your e-mail on facebook. We must catch up ... and soon!